Nextons team has acted as deal counsel to LLC “Magnit Alyans”, a wholly owned subsidiary of Magnit PJSC (“Magnit”), in connection with an equity tender offer with respect to ordinary shares in Magnit. The transaction resulted in the acquisition of nearly 21.5% of Magnit’s issued shares for an aggregate consideration equivalent to approximately RUB 48.5 billion from almost 200 sellers from more than 20 countries.
Arthur specialises in mergers and acquisitions (M&A), equity capital markets transactions and transactions with debt instruments.
He has extensive experience in representing clients in connection with strategic asset purchases/sales and joint ventures. Also, for more than 25 years, Arthur has advised issuers, underwriters and depository banks on initial and secondary offerings, block trades (including accelerated bookbuild transactions), US, global and Russian depositary receipts issues, and eurobond issues.
Prior to joining Nextons (formerly Dentons), for 20 years Arthur headed the Russian equity capital markets practice in the Moscow office of a top-five English law firm (Magic Circle).
Arthur has advocate status and is a member of the Moscow Bar Association.
- Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, 2007-2021: Leading lawyer in capital markets, corporate and M&A and private equity in Russia. “Arthur Iliev is involved in major ECM projects. He lands his experience to complex, high-value mandates”. “Arthur Iliev is regularly involved in significant Eurobond issuances, including representing the Russian Federation. Sources highlight his client-oriented approach and dedication to mandates. Clients note that he is “knowledgeable and constructive” and “understands the business questions”. “Arthur Iliev provides transactional and corporate support to a core client base of major domestic corporates. “He’s always available, always ready to help, he knows everything about what clients expect and what the market realities require,” a source says”. “He [Arthur Iliev] is …always super reliable and practical-oriented lawyer. He provides advice which is helpful,” a client says, adding that he pays “a lot of attention to detail, which helps a lot in a high-stakes project”. “Arthur Iliev is a highly reputed practitioner with experience in significant transactions, acting for Russian and foreign clients hailing from the natural resources to retail sectors. He also acts on private equity deals. Interviewees appreciate his broad knowledge and his understanding of business issues.”
- The Legal 500, 2021: Leading lawyer in capital markets in Russia.
- Kommersant, 2023: Leading lawyer in capital markets in Russia.
- IFLR1000, 2021: Highly regarded lawyer in M&A in Russia.
- Best Lawyers, 2009-2021: Leading lawyer in banking and finance, capital markets, structured finance and private equity.
- Leaders League, 2021: Leading lawyer in M&A in Russia.
- Who’s Who Legal, 2021: Leading lawyer in capital markets in Russia.
- Expert Guides, 2021: Leading lawyer in capital markets, banking and finance in Russia.
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- 2022 – present
- Partner – Nextons, Moscow
- Partner – Dentons, Moscow
- Partner, Head of Capital Markets and Russian law M&A – Clifford Chance, Moscow
- Associate – Clifford Chance, Moscow
- Associate – Freshfields, Moscow, Paris
- Trainee – Coudert Brothers, New York, Washington DC
News and Events
On 15 March 2023, the Bank of Russia published Directive No. 6347-U “On Securities and Derivatives for Qualified Investors” which lists financial instruments available to Russian qualified investors only, as discussed in more detail below.