Nextons' Litigation and Arbitration team has prepared a brief description of the most important changes in Russian procedural law in 2022.
Roman Zaitsev is a partner and head of Moscow Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice at Nextons. He focuses on Russian procedural, civil and bankruptcy law and enforcement proceedings. He has significant experience representing client interests in state commercial courts, where he has successfully represented major multinational corporations, individuals and various organizations, including commercial banks, energy companies, car manufacturers, state and municipal authorities and major enterprises.
Roman has acted successfully in major commercial disputes, bankruptcy proceedings and disputes with state authorities as well as in cases involving the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments in the Russian Federation. He has also represented clients in general enforcement proceedings, due diligence investigations, alternative dispute resolution and various other commercial, civil, procedural, general corporate and administrative matters.
Roman has advocate status and is a member of the Moscow Region Bar Association.
- Chambers Global and Chambers Europe, 2014-2021: Leading lawyer in Dispute Resolution in Russia. “He can explain complex issues in simple words and always find a solution for a client”. “He knows exactly what we mean and what we want. He gives very quick, helpful and concise answers”. “A strategist who always tries to find the most effective solution in favor of the client". “Roman is well recommended for his litigation skills, and has a focus on commercial disputes, bankruptcy and the enforcement of foreign judgments. Sources highlight his ‘broad knowledge, experience and passion for success.’”
- Kommersant, 2020-2023: Leading lawyer in commercial litigation, corporate litigation, insolvency, international litigation and international commercial arbitration.
- Pravo-300, 2019-2022: Leading lawyer in litigation, insolvency, international arbitration and international litigation in Russia.
- The Legal 500, 2015-2021: Leading lawyer in dispute resolution and restructuring & insolvency in Russia.
- Best Lawyers, 2015-2021: Leading lawyer in arbitration and mediation, international arbitration and litigation in Russia.
- Benchmark Litigation, 2020-2021: Litigation Star in dispute resolution in Russia.
- Leaders League, 2020-2022: Highly recommended lawyer in commercial litigation and international arbitration in Russia.
- Russian Arbitrators Guide: Next Generation, Legal Insight, 2021: Leading arbitrator.
Roman is the author of many legal publications, including a monograph on the enforcement of foreign judgments in Russia; the Russian chapter of the books Enforcement of Money Judgments (Juris Publishing, USA) and Attachment of Assets (Juris Publishing, USA) and co-author of a commentary to the Civil Procedural Code of the Russian Federation. He has also participated in drafting legislation.
Activities and Affiliations
Prior and Present Employment
- 2022 – present
- Partner – Nextons, Moscow
- Partner – Dentons, Moscow
- Of Counsel – Dentons (formerly Salans), Moscow
- Associate – Salans, Moscow
- Lecturer, “Commercial Dispute Resolution in Russia”; participant in international research projects, University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland
- Participant in international research projects, Christian-Albrechts University, Institute of East European Law in Kiel, Germany
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Procedure, Urals State University
- Sverdlovsk Oblast Economic Bar